Tuesday, July 10, 2007

July 17 is looming on the horizon. Its hard to believe that I will be in Mali by the end of next week. So, for the next week ill be trying to manage the sweet mixture of packing, partying, hanging out, reading, and anxiety attacks. Im contemplating a complete revolt against the packing list by taking only what I wear to the airport (and of course the goggles suggested by a family member to fend off the dust storms). I challenge anyone to convince me that goggles are not priority A when packing for a trip to Africa. Anyways, hopefully I will get to see all my friends before I leave, and if not, ill definitely be thinking of all of you when im finally in Mali. My goal for the whole experience is to immerse myself completely in the day to day life and culture of the community I am in, as well as maintaining contact with friends and family back home. As far as this blog goes, ill keep it updated as much as a computer illiterate person in a developing country can.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

first comment! woot!

can you post your address somewhere so we can send you snail mail? i already have two letters to send.

Casie Ollendick said...

Brandon -

As I am sure there are several thoughts going through your head right now, the one certain thought should be that you are embarking on an incredible journey that no one will ever be able to take away from you and/or duplicate. I am incredibly jealous that you are committing yourself to this - something I've always wanted to do.

You have several people back here who care about you and who think you're swell. One thing I know for certain is that we won't forget you, and although our lives will most certainly be different when you return, it does not mean they will be absent from yours. Undoubtedly you will come home to many open arms...most of which will be the ones you left.

I promise to keep you in the loop with what's really going on around 260 Holman Ave. I'm pretty sure there's going to be some moments of withdrawal in which I'll have to entertain with some ignorant comments about B.M.s and other naturally healthy body functions.

Brandon, you are one seriously wise guy. I have full confidence in your abilities to assimilate with the culture and to make yourself at home in no time. You will do well and you will be beyond successful and life-altering.

OK, enough sappy-sap for one day. Please take care and please be cognizant of what goes on around you. In other words, try not to be such a Vanilla Face.

Love you kid and talk to you soon.

Cas

Oh...and listen. Don't be surprised if you have some visitors. Africa has been on my list for way too long...

Charles Ringer said...

If you see the Buddha over there, kill him for me.